Monday, October 13, 2008

YS conference wrap up

Today was the last day of YS. Picked up a couple resources (First 2 years, YM management tools, and Field's book about saying NO) for a buddy of mine who is beginning his first youth ministry gig and enjoyed the last session with Marko as he talked about belonging.

Got to see Russ Cantu, a guy I grew up with at Central Christian Church. Really great to see him in youth ministry. He said something that was so meaningful to me.

"Ken, you know what I remember most about you?"

I'm thinking...uh...I hope it's something good and I expected him to say something about something innapropriate or stupid I did as a high schooler, or something to embarrass me in front of my wife...

"I remember that small group that we were in that met on Monday mornings."

"That's right! With Joel, right!" I said.

"Yeah. those were good times."

And they were. We used to meet with our youth pastor on monday mornings for a small group. I was a senior and I think Russ was a Sophomore...maybe a freshman. It didn't really matter. What was cool is that's what he rememered.

Small groups have absolutely shaped my life. What a cool reminder.

What a cool time. Got to see a bunch of friends. Get lots of advice. Grow in skills. Get closer to God. Worship. Be challenged. Connect with lots of youth workers. And get to spend loads of time with my favorite youth pastor, my sweet wife, Jen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow man. That's all I can really say. I know small groups like this helped to shape who I am today, and that group was a major part of my spiritual development. Friends, mentors, goobs; we were all there. Now we pass it in to the next generation of future leaders. How awesome is that?

Ken said...

exactly, bro. Exactly.