Friday, October 10, 2008

NYWC: Day 1

Jen and I arrived late last night from KC, got into our hotel, and got to catch up with Sean Meade before heading to bed. Sean and I have known each other for a long time and we live 20 minutes from each other. sadly, with the way our schedules have been, we hung out more last night than we usually have the opportunity to.

This morning I went to a seminar by Lilly Lewin about Creating Multi-Sensory worship experiences. Man, it was so good. Not only good to get some ideas (Ideas for engaging middle schoolers but also ideas for our emergent group that we are doing at First.)

It was mostly good just to worship. Just to sit...and listen...and learn. I love learning and already I'm so glad to have been able to make it back to YS.

Got caught up with my buddy Dan. Dan and I haven't seen each other for 10 years. We shared a lot of memories growing up in the same youth group and he regulary receives verbal abuse in our fantasy baseball and football leagues. But Dan is Dan...and he's a great guy.

Got to see my friend from college Derek Levins and friends Joel and Joy Dyer from OKC. I met Joel and Joy at middle school camp one year. They were actually on their honeymoon at camp! Which shows either incredible devotion to middle school or a lack of priorities. eh eh eh. anyway, I passed the hat around and we got them a hotel room for the night. so fun. they were so embarrassed! and it's been a story they have shared with many. Good times.

And I keep seeing Adam McClane but when I realize it's him he's either gone or it's too awkward.

Here's my take no the first general session:

1. I still miss Yacconelli and his opening about skippting sessions. Marko really keeps the spirit of it, but I am glad to have been around when Mike was.

2. Mercy Me...even though I don't know a lot of thier songs...they were great. The video cameras and video projectors are so hi-def, I could not only see the lead singer guy's pores on his face but he enamel on his teeth!!!

3. Lincoln Brewster...this is my first taste of Lincoln. He likes to rock. lots of fun. I thought it was weird how he made this really cool deal and challenge to worship, and then in every song he has like this major guitar solo. It was a big disconnection for me, but I'm hoping to get over myself. ;^)

4. Bishop Sherwood Carthen...man...what a great message about Leadership and the Wilderness. He spoke about so many good things. Very passionate! He challenged us to not "Fake the Funk, but to stand flatfooted and help students leting them know that if God delivered us, he will deliver them." I don't know a lot about Bishop Carthen...but it was great to hear from him.

He really evoked a lot of thoughts on leadership and brokenness. I'm having a difficult time putting them into words though.

Good stuff. So glad to be at YS.

Jen is at the seminar for working with middle school girls. it is packed and going on right now. I can't help but wonder if she'll get a plug about her new books.

then we'll go hit Adam up for dinner. Now that he's a rock star YS staffer!

No comments: