Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fear Factor Middle School Style




So our current series on Sunday mornings is one of Kurt's (Yikes! Scary things we don't like to talk about, shameless plug/promotion here) and last Sunday it was about Fear, as we are trying to capitlize on Halloween.


We had a great program, great participation and conversation. But our game was one of the coolest. I figured, since we were talking about fear, I'd try to pull some sort of Fear Factor type game and have students eat something really gross. I remember going to a Planet Wisdom conference one time and Matlock had kids eat grasshoppers or something else that they bought at a chinese supermarket.


So I went to my local shop and asked the nice lady there in the most appropriate way I could muster if they had anything seemingly "gross" students could eat. She had just the thing and she has actually seen it on an episode of Fear Factor!


It's called Durian. It's a fruit delacacy from China. You can buy a whole fruit ($$$$$$) or just a slice ($5). The thing is, that while it tastes sweet like soft pineapple, it looks and smells disgusting!


I had kids gagging during the game. Some of my girls left the room refusing to come back. And when they did come back they held thier noses for the next 30 minutes. So fun. And it provided a great entry point into a conversation about trusting God when we are afraid.

No comments: