Sunday, November 06, 2005

Therapeutic Moralistic Deism

This morning our youth choir sang in church and I looked out at the students, those there in attendance and those noticeably absent, and it is a challenge in front of us.  How can I teach these students a belief and relationship with God that is more than “Therapeutic Moralistic Deism” that they have been fed for years?  How can I work every week to bring them noticeable change?  To do more than just teaching through a curriculum but to know that what I’m teaching them really is shaping their thoughts on God.  How many times do I treat my teaching like a chore to complete instead of a joy to express?  Where is my passion?  The truth is that It’s not being fueled.  I feel like I’m doing a job. 

 

I’d like to blame it on being overwhelmed.  Have I lost my passion?  Have I lost the reason I chose this occupation?  Have I been swept up in the depression here?  Am I just collecting a check? 

 

What am I doing to radically change the past of this youth ministry?  What am I going to do to begin shaping a culture of passionate students?

 

#1         I’ve got to cultivate my soul.

#2         I need to deepen myself and study.

#3         I need to be disciplined

#4         I need goals

 

There I go again, getting overwhelmed.  It’s so easy to see what needs to be done, so hard to just do it.

 

So what separates those who are doing it from those who want to do it?

No comments: