Sunday, November 06, 2005

John Deere

Speaking of crops….my dad works at John Deere.

I need to grow these crops and I feel like I’ve just bought a field and I’m discouraged that I haven’t produced any crops.  I’ve had this crop for five months and I have only a handful of seedlings, and ONLY because they REALLY want to grow. 

I can get a quick crop, but they’ll just burn in the sun because they have no roots.

I feel like I was hired because I had a plan on how to make them grow.

And I’m sitting here looking at the field thinking, 1.  What the hell have I gotten myself into, 2.  How should I get the crop to grow, and 3.  Shouldn’t I know how to do this?  Isn’t this why they put me in charge of the field?

I never plant.  I just get these seedlings for three years.  I have three years to get them healthy enough to withstand the toughest weather.  Unfortunately, I don’t get to plant them.  They are transported into my field every year.  But I do have a choice as to what kind of soil they get transferred to and as to how many gardeners I have working the fields. 

I am the head gardener of my field.

I need programs to help the seedlings grow.

I need other gardeners to work the field whether the seedlings are involved in the growth programs.

Right now I’m struggling to get the seedlings to come to the growth programs.

Some of them, very few, will come because of the program itself.

Most will come because of their relationships with other seedlings.

If they attend the growth programs, they will grow.

But whether or not they attend, someone needs to care for their growth.

How can I help the parents of the seedlings?  By doing the programs and caring for their seedling.  Encouraging them to put their seedling in the program.  The better growth programs I have, the healthier seedlings I’ll produce, and the more parents will want their kids in the program.

Now where’d I put my Rototiller…

No comments: