Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Softball and Student Ministry

My daughter took her first lesson in fastpitch softball this week. I feel pretty confident that I could coach a kid on how to pitch baseball. I could at least give them the basics. But when it comes to fast pitch softball...I am clueless.

So I took Ciera to a lesson and it was so incredibly helpful! Britnee (Barnett) Weber of Wichita State Shocker fame was her coach for an hour and she took a very complicated windup and broke it down into 5 drills. Each drill built off the previous one and when you put them all together, viola! She was great at explaining each step and helping Ciera and I understand what the purpose of each drill was.

She turned something difficult, overwhelming, and confusing, into something easy to understand and attainable.

That was a great reminder of what middle school ministry (and really all ministry) needs to be. We need to continue taking this abstract idea of Christian living and making it simple to understand and attainable. I'm not suggesting we try to take out the mystery or simplify the radical call of Jesus. But we have to make it something more than this great pinnacle that if one is REALLY spiritual, he MIGHT be able to attain it...especially if he becomes a senior pastor.

We certainly haven't mastered it yet, but that idea of creating drills that build on each other, really resonates with me.
In your ministry, how are you creating building blocks (for lack of a better term) to help students grow in thier faith? How are you making it simple, attainable, and yet building on top of one another?

No comments: