Thursday, May 07, 2009

Great Youth Ministry Game #177: Bigger or Better


If it takes little to ZERO prep, creates a great memory for adults and students, and everyone has a blast, it's a game that youth pastors need.

I give you: "Bigger or Better"

"Bigger or Better" is the first scavenger hunt I ever experienced! I was in 7th grade and my youth pastor was Steve Spray. I had heard about this scavenger hunt and how one group ended up with a real car and I was hooked. I remember our team came back that night with a pair of skiis and some other junk. And I do mean junk.



Here is how it's played: Divide up your teams and give each team something small and lame: paperclips, a chip, a penny, an old newsletter, etc. Then have them go door-to-door and have them ask people if they will trade them for something "Bigger or Better" than what they have. people can take the thing or just give you something, but they need to know that they aren't getting it back. Have your groups meet back at a designated time and determine your winner!

That's it! We did it last night as a party for the end of our small groups and it took from beginning to end (including driving to different neighborhoods) in 90 minutes. One could EASILY make this a much bigger event night (which we did once and one of our youth coaches took home a couch!)

Our kids had a blast last night and took home a bike, coffee table, glassware, a TV, a kid's table and chairs, and one of those cool glass balls that puts out electricity when you touch it, among other things.

If you've played Bigger or Better before, what was the Biggest and Best thing you ended up with?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hey Ken,
This story brought back some great memories for me...although my memory isn't so great these days (smile). I remember going around the neighborhood near Central playing this game. I remember our team received an old tub, but I can't remember how exactly we got it back to the church! Fun times!!!
Julie