Thursday, February 12, 2009

Post Camp Letter to my Students

Last year at camp we closed our week with a time together with just our youth group. It was nice to talk about the week and what they had gotten from it. At the end, I gave them each some paper and a pen to write themselves a note that would be mailed to them in 6 months. basically a "Hey, It's been six months since camp. Remember this committment that you made. How are you doing with that?" kind of letter.

I got the idea from when I was a sophomore in HS and attended my first CIY event with my youth pastor. I was in a D-Group (ah, all the little names in youth ministry) with a bunch of people I didn't know and a youth pastor I didn't know. But at the end of the week he did this same thing. and 6 months later I received my letter in the mail.

Of course, being a dork, last year I forgot envelopes so my students just had to trust that I wasn't going to read them, which of course I did. JUST KIDDING! I even had them fold it in wierd ways so they woudl KNOW that I didn't read them. Anyway, I'm sending them today and hope they'll be an encouragement to them. And here's what I wrote to them as well:

February 12, 2009

 

 

Hey Camper!

 

It was only about 6 months ago that you and I were at Youthfront swimming, riding the ATV’s, eating ice cream, and playing some crazy life sized board games.  

 

I absolutely LOVE camp!  And growing up, I made some very significant life decisions at camp.  I hope you’ve been able to make some during our times together at camp too.

 

On the last night of camp I gathered you guys all together and we shared some of our highlights of the week together.  At the end I encouraged you to write yourself a letter that I would mail to you in six months or so.

 

Well….here it is!  

 

Again, I have not read any of your notes.  I don’t know whether you wrote yourself reminding you about something you learned or if you wrote that I have some seriously sweaty armpits (which is true).   The notes have stayed inside my computer bag, nearly forgotten about, until today.

 

No matter what you wrote, I hope you’ll think back to some of the things we did together and some of the memories made.  I hope you’ll remember that feeling of God’s closeness and his amazing love for you.  I hope that you’ll keep practicing what you learned at Mid-Day…to be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10) and that sometimes the best way to hear God’s voice is to be silent and listen.

 

Looking forward to listening together,

 

Ken Rawson

1984 Hungry Hungry Hippo Finalist 

 

 

No comments: