Thursday, February 19, 2009

My daughter had surgery today

My daughter had surgery today and a buddy of mine was annoyed that he got his update via facebook.  So I just sent him this email.

 

Everything is good.  They are home resting.  She is only having tubes in her ears so it’s not that major of a thing.  Everything went great.  Charis has been having trouble hearing since the summer.  Lots of ear infections.  Got to the point of her actually reading our lips before we said, “Frick!  This is ridiculous!”

 

Really hard for me since Jen HATES swimming and she had tubes in her ears.  I remember friends who had tubes in their ears and they couldn’t get their head wet and so they didn’t like to go to the beach or swim, etc.  I LOVE swimming and so I have been fighting this not wanting my kid to hate swimming.

 

But it was just not getting any better.  Our doctor recommended us to this doctor who she felt would be honest with us and tell us whether Charis needed tubes or not.  Really hard for me because I’m just so distrusting of doctors.  I could see some guy who is having tax issues or needs to finance a trip just telling anyone, “yep, your kid needs tubes.”  I know that is a bad attitude.

 

So we went a couple weeks ago and Charis again failed her hearing test.  (We tried to rule out anything and even went to Wichita State where they train all the Ear Nose and Throat Doctors and had Charis go there.  She failed the hearing test there and it was super thorough.)  The Dr. said that she did need tubes and if we didn’t get them there would be permanent hearing loss. 

 

Sidebar:  someone commented on my facebook that we should not ignore ear aches and that their kid has permanent hearing loss because, I assume, they didn’t treat it seriously enough.  Dude, I would never forgive myself…

 

We dropped our kids off at a friend’s house this morning and took Charis in.  90 minutes of waiting!!!!  We were there at 6:50 am for a 7 am appt.  Charis was the second one in for this doctor and she went in at 8:23 am.  The operation itself went really quick. They came and got us as soon as Charis started coming out of the anesthesia.   We walked in and a nurse was holding her in her arms (that is SO comforting to see when you are worried about your kid.)

 

We stayed in there for 30 more minutes and were discharged.

 

So all is well!  Can’t wait to see if she can hear better.  Follow up check up is in a couple weeks.

 

No comments: