Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's day came one day early for me!

On Saturday Noah had his first hit in machine pitch! Machine pitch is the next step up from T-ball. He had 3 games before where he got up only a few times and each time he struck out. And he was swinging really weird. He was pretty bummed. Didn’t want to go outside and practice or anything. I talked him into playing soft toss on Thursday before a game and he nearly got a hit at the game that night.

So he had a game Sat, and we went outside and played soft toss and I could feel he was really close, watching the ball better, better swings, etc.

So Noah get’s up in the 2nd inning….whiff on three straight pitches. But they were good swings…nice and level…his timing was just a bit off.

Top of the 5th inning…Noah’s team, the Blue Dragons, haven’t scored and are down by two runs.

Noah’s up to the plate.

The pitch…

The swing…

WHACK!

Line drive that bounces right between the 3rd baseman and SS. Noah runs to 2nd base and the LF overthrows the 2nd baseman, so Noah, after over running 2nd and stopping, runs to third. He rounds the base and heads home for his first hit, and his first home run! Sure, in the mind of every adult, it was a double and an error. But in his head…and for all intensive purposes as this level, he hit a dinger.

SO AMAZINGLY FUN! Jen JUMPED out of her chair, “RUN, NOAH, RUN!!!!!”

After Noah got back in the dug out, I went over to tell him how proud I was of him (which I was doing even when he was whiffing like his old man) I asked him, “Noah, how did that feel?”

In the funnest, sweetest, and coolest voice ever, with eyes full of joy, he replied, “Awesome!”

“Yeah, it was awesome, Noah. Good job!”

“Dad, I hit the 2nd home run of the season!” (another kid had hit a home run a couple games ago)

I thought it was awesome to just play catch with my kids…Like it was an emotional thing because I didn’t have a dad to play catch with when I was a kid. And I totally meant to blog about how cool it was.

it is so fun to watch them play and enjoy the game. I hope that I never push them away from the game.

It was a fun day to be a dad.

No comments: