Sunday, February 17, 2008

A challenge by a middle schooler

Since I work at a United Methodist Church one of my jobs is to lead confirmation. I really enjoy this because I went to a really great Christian College that I feel really prepared me with a good base to teach with, even though I still am learning a lot about this tradition of Christianity.

I think I do a pretty good job with it as we focus on the most important issues for students with regard of what the UMC believes and how other traditions believe, etc.

My sweet wife is one of the mentors for a girl who is a really great student, a pretty solid kid. So Jen asked her what she is learning. And this student rattled off some stuff and then said something like, "It's good information...but it doesn't relate to my life."

Of course I'm thinking, "We've talked about the Bible and why you can trust it, the Trinity, God's amazing love, the life of Christ and grace, and today we talked about the role of the Holy Spirit!"

But really, for a middle schooler and all they deal with, what does any of that matter? I mean, I know it matters...but how can I relate to a student about why it really does matter to them NOW.

And if I'm honest, I have to question how well I'm teaching. How can I make teaching about these issues really matter to students today? How can I give them a reason for listening or wanting to know? and next week is church history!!!!! yikes!

I think I did a good job on the intro to the series...but I think I've been relying on my knowledge of the subject instead of on how to make it come alive to them.

maybe I need to focus more on introduction and set up and give them a reason why it does matter to them, in the midst of thier sports, in the midst of thier relationship problems, in the midst of thier parent's problems, in the midst of thier acne, I've got work to make these issues relevent to them.

1 comment:

Dan Rosch said...

Wow. What a monster comment by a middle schooler!