Friday, February 01, 2008

The Writer's Guild Strike

While I don't watch a lot of TV, I have learned a lot about this whole writer's strike going on. I'm amazed at how much writing really goes on to make talking heads look so good and funny.

Which really got me thinking, "Why don't we write sermons and lessons like this?" I mean, why don't we have staff memebers who are good writers, writing for a talking head, at a church?

I'm sure this is already going on. I remember going to Southeast Christian Church in Louisville and learning that Bob Russel had a team of guys, including his son, who put messages together. And Bob helped, but it was a communal effort, and I'm pretty sure it's worked for him.

At the time, I guess I felt like Bob was cheating the system. I mean, there was nothing wrong with it, to me, it simply seemed at it's best to be insincere or at it's worst, to be fraud.

Of course, that was 10 years ago....

Nevertheless, wouldn't all of our messages be better if we could write them with two or three people that we loved and respected and could take their life experiences and wisdom and put messages/lessons together?! How fun would that be!

Ah....the power of writing...

1 comment:

Kirk Longhofer said...

Now, add media and the power of collaberation becomes even more apparent.

kdl