Monday, June 22, 2009

One more reason I love Youth Specialties: The Mystery Box Revealed!!!!

Sometime I should probably blog all the reasons I love YS but it's easiest to say that without thier encouragement and resources, I probably wouldn't be doing student ministry today.

A couple months ago they were moving offices and had to get rid of a bunch of stuff so they were selling "mystery"boxes of stuff they were going to have to destroy in the move.

So instead of throwing stuff away, for $20, YS would donate that money to Reality Changers (an amazing charity helping at risk teens go to college) and youth workers would get a box of who-knows-what.


Here's what was in my box:



The Ideas Index....a throwback to yesteryear when the Ideas books were in print. printed in 1992!

The Ideas combo edition, four books in one, 17-20! printed in 1981...I feel like I'm holding youth ministry folklore.

2 Videos from the old Edge TV series: Growing up Fast and Word on the Street. Yeah...


So far...not so good. eh eh eh


A THIRD Video: Curt Cloninger "Witnesses" I believe this was standard issue for youth pastors in the nineties. And I can sell it on Amazon for nearly $20!!!!



What Would Jesus Do? (In German!), WHOA! Someone is trying to sell it for $158!!!!!

Never The Same, worth $9

Deep Justice Journeys, BRAND NEW just released!!! Worth $13

Art Source 4.0, Clip art library! worth $51!!!


So...for $20, Reality Changers got $20, and I got a box full of goodies worth between $100 or possibly $250, depending on the German need for WWJD. Thanks YS!!!

2 comments:

Blake Attebury said...

OK! So sell the crap....errrmmm "stuff" you got, and buy another box, and another until they are gone! DOUBLE BONUS! You could donate mad amounts of money to that charity by doing that several times, and keep any real gems you find along the way....although I would keep WWJD in German because no matter what you say, it sounds really angry and the irony is fun. :)

Ken said...

ha! dude, I wish I could but they are all out of the mystery boxes. GREAT idea though!