Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mean Robots Suck: A quick review of Transformers 2


In one word: Bittersweet.

I LOVED the special effects! So amazing. I don't have a clue how they do this stuff. It blows me away.

The story was good...but it took a little while to get to it. The love storyline...lame. Lots of funny one liners like when one of the robots says, "Mean robots suck."

There is so much action! Some would probably say "Violence." There was a lot and it was really hard to keep up and absorb all that was happening in the fight scenes. But it could have been our crappy seats. (we arrived an hour early...sat down 45 minutes before the show started...but ended up in the fourth row from the front and all the way to the left. Not great...but not terrible.)

The cameos...I won't ruin it but I laughed out loud at a couple of the stars who showed up for this movie.

I think there are a lot of Christians who will react to all the course joking. Lots of sexual humor. If you are offended by "Truck Nuts" I'm not sure what you'll do with the giant Transformer testicles. (Sorry for the spoiler.)

In all, the movie is really made for college guys and young adult males. I'm sure that is a "duh", but it kind of took away some of the fun for me. My 8 year old LOVES Transformers and I loved them as a kid! I still remember going to the Grenada movie theater in Morgan Hill and seeing the Transformers cartoon movie. (It was the first movie I went to without a parent!)

And the sad part is, it will be years before I'll let Noah watch the movie with me. I just don't think he can take it. And if he could take the intense robot fighting, I'm just not ready to subject him to the steady flow of sex jokes and related material. (Evidently only models go to college. Not a fat or ugly girl to be found in the movie.)

So, it was an amazing film, and one has to filter out the garbage, like a lot of movies. I just wish my son could enjoy it with me.

No comments: