Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Donuts, Fellowship, a monkey and a fish

Just got an email from a local donut shop offering a sale for churches.  Here was their ad:

 

Now thru April 5, Get donuts delivered every Sunday

For Just $5 a Dozen.

 

No Questions, No Contracts

Show Your Congregation What Fellowship is all About

 

The last line was the one that through me off.

 

Is this what Christians really think of when they think of fellowship?  Instead of the intimacy of sharing lives together, do we often settle for small talk over donuts?  How do we perpetuate this?  In a church that does have a shallow understanding of fellowship, how do you deepen it?

 

I wonder if my non-Christian friends perceive this to be what Christians really think fellowship is as well.  That begs the question as to what we all see real fellowship as being.

 

I’m reading a book by dave gibbons called the monkey and the fish and it has been so convicting and energizing.  I think of our students and how can they experience real fellowship together and share that with their hurting friends.  How can I get middle school students to experience community?  We try to do this through small groups and I think we do a good job, but certainly not the best job.

 

What are some ways you are trying to create real intimacy and life sharing in your ministry?

No comments: