Tuesday, January 06, 2009

More thoughts on Riddle's book

I was skimming Mark's book again tonight looking for a certain paragraph when I remembered another couple things that I like about the book:

~The book is split into two sections. The first one is all about staffing for a youth pastor. Really great thoughts on here. Most of my review was based off this section of the book because it really resonated with me.

~The second half is basically an inside look at what a youth pastor feels. And it's really great. I mean a lot of this stuff...this is stuff I have dealt with for years. Feelings of frustration based on assumptions...made by the senior pastor, and if I'm honest, many made by me.

The chapters on making youth ministry the butt of jokes, loyalty vs. disloyalty, and the need for loyalty FROM the senior pastor...THIS could be something that would really help relationships.

Of course, I get frustrated thinking, "Look if my SP has been in ministry longer than I have, they should know this stuff, value it, and be practicing it." But, we all get into our own worlds, I suppose, and we forget.

On the flip side, maybe the SP is practicing it...but the youth pastor can't be sure if she can trust it.

It would be interesting to see the reversal...a book for youth pastors written by a senior pastor that gives insight into their world as well.

No comments: