Thursday, September 13, 2007

I can't believe this is the city I live in...

Here's a link to the front page of the web page for the city we just moved to: Ark Valley News.


In case it gets moved...here's how the article opens...


If all you saw was the color of his skin, you may have never discovered that Jay Grayson was a cheerleading coach. That he played football in high school and college. That he was a guest instructor at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center. That his father was a decorated Marine.


If that’s all you saw, you may have never known Jay Grayson.Though his skin color represents a milestone in the history of the Valley Center Police Department, Grayson is more than the department’s first-ever black officer.



Dude, where the heck do I live?! When I moved out to the midwest from California, I was amazed at how white everywhere was and how much it was like stepping back in time. How, in this day and age. are people still being judged by the color of thier skin?!


Of course, my brother spent a night in jail last week where he was "encouraged" to sit where the "rest of his kind" was sitting in the holding cell. So it goes both ways...I suppose...


I didn't read anymore of the newspaper for fear of finding an announcement of a lynching or a Klansman Anonymous meeting...

No comments: