Monday, September 15, 2008

Ice Skating and Amputation: Don't forget that release form!



Introducing one of our brand new 6th graders. His name is Drake and he's an amazing kid. We took our students out for our annual Lock Out, which included ice skating!




Drake had never been ice skating before and was having a blast. When all of the sudden, he fell and some kid wasn't paying attention and didn't see him. He tried to jump over him but ended up landing on his calf. And he made a MAJOR gash in Drake's leg.




My sweet wife saw the WHOLE thing and was haunted by it all night long. They carried him off the ice, scrubbed his blood off the ice, and called 911. The paramedics came and what did they want?




a release form! Man, am I so glad I had those ready and, more importantly, WITH me. We called mom and dad and they came down and took him to the hospital. The cut took 18 stitches and it was GORY. Like, crazy gory!




Drake's only concern? "So, when I'm done at the hospital, can I meet back up with you guys?"




eh eh eh. Of course. which he did. What a crazy night! Definitely a first for me.




So the next time you are gearing up for your big event, DON'T FORGET THOSE RELEASE FORMS!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's crazy! you've scared me into being more anal about remembering to take them with me.

Ken said...

Me too, Scott!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely insane. I've thought of that a thousand times! Now I'll never skate again.

Anonymous said...

wow.....i woulda gone home and cried....maybe not if you went to ihop....but still....that must have hurt a lot

Dan Rosch said...

Holy crap that would have scared me. I always do the forms man. Now I'll be OCD about it.